David J Turner
|Title||Manager, Web Mobile & Project Management Group, |
Applications & Project Management, ITS
|Division||Information Technology Services|
|Department||Information Technology Services, |
ITS-Applications and Project Management
|Web Site|| Web, Mobile & Project Management Group (public site)|
WMPM Department Site (requires authentication)
ITS Project Management
ITS PM Certificate
UCSC Mobile Application
|Office||2300 Delaware, Room B1-05|
|Office Hours||Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm|
|Campus Mail Stop||ITS Delaware|
|2300 Delaware Ave|
Santa Cruz, CA
Biography, Education and Training
A California native, I received my degrees in Political Science and American History. This background proved surprisingly useful as I began my career at UCSC managing the archives for the Physical Planning and Construction department.
I naturally transitioned into information technology in the process of modernizing the Records Department at PP&C, developing databases, server storage, and digital scanning and archival processes.
In 2006, I moved to the Project Management Group of ITS (PMG). My initial role in IT included divisional strategic planning, assessment, governance design and support, project management leadership, and service management. In 2009 I took over management of PMG. In that role, I led a program to develop centrally-supported web services for the campus, oversaw the development of the ITS Project Management Certificate, and managed an excellent team of project managers and business analysts supporting many of the division's most important projects.
A reorganization in 2012 created the Web, Mobile & Project Management group (WMPM), which includes the Project Management Group (now managed by Leslie Geary) and the Web Applications team, which supports a broad portfolio of custom-built, legacy, and vendor web applications. In my current role as manager of both WMPM and the Web Apps team, my primary focus these days is on building and refining our best practices, supporting efficient operations, and (still) managing projects.
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Certified ServiceNow System Administrator (2015)
- Graduate, UCSC Leadership Academy (2008)
- Recipient UCSC Staff Recognition & Development Program acknowledgement (2008)
- Graduate, EDUCAUSE Institute Management Program (2007)
- Keeping Cool with Project Documentation (2010)
- Planning for Pitfalls: Project Risks and Issues (2010)
- Controlling Your Project Scope: Managing Creeps and Documenting Change (2010)
- Managing Your Sponsor (2009)
- UCSC Web Presence and Services Program: At a Glance (2008)
- Engineering the Priorities Train (2007)