Data Center Services
|The Data Center provides server-hosting and related services in a Tier 2 facility that includes cabinets, cables, power distribution, seismic protection, UPS, firewall, N+1 redundant HVAC, physical security, fire suppression and a natural gas generator. The Data Center also offers cloud computing services and can help with hosting at the San Diego Supercomputer Center.|
On This Page
The Data Center offers a variety of hosting options:
- Traditional Physical Hosting in secure data centers at UCSC and SDSC
- Virtual Hosting using VMware
- Cloud Computing using AWS
- On-premise Cloud Computing with Joyent - The Data Center is currently offering a pilot program for on-premise cloud-computing services through Joyent. This service is expected to be a complement to the Virtual Hosting Service, and is not designed to be as robust (or as expensive). Contact Data Center Service Management if you are interested in participating in the pilot.
- Hosts in the Data Center have the option of being placed behind a firewall with customized access rules in the Data Center firewall.
The Data Center VPN provides administrators with a secure method to access servers behind the firewall.
More information about standard Data Center networks can be found here.
Not sure which hosting option is right for you? Here's a comparison chart.
The Data Center offers system-administration services for Windows, Linux/UNIX and VMware platforms. These services not required; all server-hosting options are available in both "self service" and "managed service" mode. More information on Managed Services
Please select "Data Center Support" on the left for more details.
Please select "Storage" on the left for more details.
We provide secure backup through the Data Center Backup Service. Backup clients may be located in the UCSC Data Center or in a departmental server room. More information on Data Center Backup Service
*Last Updated: 02/24/2015