ITS Hiring Toolkit
On This Page
If you are planning on hiring a new ITS staff person START HERE. This toolkit will help guide you through the entire hiring process. ITS partners with Staff HR Employment Services for every ITS staff hired.
There are several staffing options available. Make sure you decide which option you are hiring for before proceeding to step 2. Options include: open recruitment, campus-only recruitment, non-recruitment, student employment, temporary staffing, transfer, reorganization, and waiver of recruitment.
Before you begin the recruitment process, update the current job description or write a new one so you know exactly the type of job position you are hiring for.
- If you need help with writing the job description, contact Ann Guevera in Staff HR.
- Once the job description is complete, email a copy to Ann Guevara so she can keep it on file.
After the job description is complete, you will need approval by the Senior Management Team (SMT) in ITS to hire the position. Your director is responsible for obtaining approval from SMT. Once approved, you will be notified by Laurie Swan to begin the recruitment.
TriNova IT Recruiting Specialists: If you would like to use Beth Garvey with TriNova IT Recruiting Specialists, this needs to be approved by the Senior Management Team (SMT).
Once you have SMT approval, you will receive an email from Laurie Swan with instructions on how to launch the recruitment. It provides the details and steps of each stage and instructions for each recruitment task. In addition, the email will contain important information specific to your recruitment.
Part of the ITS recruitment process is to fill out and submit the RMS worksheet. You may consult with Ann Guevara in Staff HR during this process if you have questions.
- For Open / Campus-Only Recruitment (all types except straight replacement): Download Form shr-2002.doc
- Non-Recruitment / Straight Replacement: Download Form shr-2003.doc
RMS Form Instructions
Make sure to fill out what type of advertising you need on the RMS form in section 8. You will need prior approval from your director on ALL advertising, so please work with Laurie Swan on your advertising options. Costs and fees related to the recruitment of new employees, including advertising, travel, and accommodation expenses, are the responsibility of the hiring department.
Submit RMS Form
- Email the complete RMS form as a PDF attachment along with the job description in Word to Judy Kelso at email@example.com.
- Make sure to copy Laurie Swan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ann Guevara (email@example.com).
- Employment Services Turnaround Times
Campus Posting: Employment will contact you once the job is posted on the RMS website. This could take up to 2 to 4 weeks. If Employment needs additional information or has questions, they will contact you so this process isn't too delayed. Employment Services Turnaround Times
Internal Department Posting: Once the job is posted in RMS, Lisa Bono will post it on the ITS Employment Opportunities website.
The purpose of using a Search Committee is to increase the likelihood that a better hiring decision is made. A Search Committee is any group of two or more people involved in the evaluation of applicants for a position. While you are waiting for Employment to post the job on the RMS website, this is a good time to put together your search committee and to contact colleagues to see if they are willing to commit their time.
Once the Initial Review Date (IRD) has passed, you may begin reviewing the job application materials. Employment Services will contact you (within 1-2 days) to give you the RMS guest user account username and password to access the RMS system to view the job application materials. Make sure you invite your search committee to review the application materials.
If you need assistance with scheduling search committee meetings and interviews with candidates, (even second round of interviews) please contact Laurie Swan. Laurie will schedule the search committee meetings and interview times, and will contact the candidates.
- Screening and Evaluating Applications
- Applicant Selection Log - Download Log
- Applicant Communications
- Questions Permissible and Ones to Avoid When Interviewing
- Reference Checks - ALWAYS check references, especially from former supervisors, including UCSC applicants, before you make a final selection.
- You have access to UCSC applicant's personnel file. Contact Ann Guevara in Staff HR.
- Telephone Reference Check List Template
- Fair Hiring Guide Forms, Resources and Training
Remember, make sure to ALWAYS do Reference Checks before you make a final selection. Once you have selected the final candidate and review your decision with your director, contact the final candidate to make the informal offer. Cover the following topics in the informal offer to the final candidate:
- Probationary period
- Start date
- Schedule, e.g., Monday-Friday, 8AM to 5PM
- Background check will be done
- Official offer will be sent to the person by Staff HR
After the informal offer is made, make sure to follow the steps outlined below:
- RMS Worksheet: Job Offer - Open/Campus-Only Recruitments - Complete the Job Offer worksheet to document the terms and conditions of the offer and the reasons why other candidates were not selected.
- Email the complete Job Offer worksheet to Judy Kelso at firstname.lastname@example.org so she can make the official offer. The official offer could take up to 2 weeks. Make sure to copy Laurie Swan (email@example.com) and Ann Guevara (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Records Disposition - After the selected candidate has accepted the offer, you will need to gather all documentation related to the recruitment (interview notes, reference checks, applicant selection log, committee notes) and email the materials or send via campus mail to Judy Kelso at email@example.com.
- Once the final offer has been accepted, Laurie Swan emails thank you letters to the applicants letting them know the position has been filled. Lisa Bono removes the job position from the ITS website.
Laurie Swan will initiate the ITS onboarding process. You will receive an email from her with onboarding instructions.
- Supervisor On-Boarding Checklist (PDF)
- New Employee Sign Up
- Onboarding Resources for Employees and Supervisors
- Employee Toolkit