UCSC Wi-Fi Policy
DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SANTA CRUZ
This policy establishes principles and requirements that govern the use of user-installed wireless (Wi-Fi) access points (APs) at UCSC. This policy supports UCSC's Minimum Network Connectivity Requirements and Acceptable Use Policy and applies to the entire UCSC community.
- Access Point/Wireless (Wi-Fi) Access Point (AP): A device that allows Wi-Fi devices to connect to a wired network (more information - Wikipedia)
- User-Installed Access Point: A non-ITS installed/managed access point
- Campus Wi-Fi: The term used to refer to CruzNet or eduroam wireless service
- Electronic Information Resource (defined in UCSC's online Glossary of IT Policy-Related Terms)
III. DETAILED POLICY STATEMENTS
- Campus Wi-Fi is the official Wi-Fi system for UCSC and takes precedence over other Wi-Fi installations.
- Recognizing that Campus Wi-Fi does not provide full campus wireless coverage, user-installed access points (APs) are allowed in areas not served by Campus Wi-Fi  under the following conditions (see UCSC Wi-Fi Standards (draft) for implementation information):
- User-installed APs must be secure.
- User-installed APs must not interfere with Campus Wi-Fi or the normal operation of other UCSC elecronic information resources.
- Owners of user-installed APs are responsible for their use, including addressing any violations of law or policy arising from such use.
- User-installed APs that do not meet the above requirements are subject to removal or being blocked from the campus network.
Requests for exceptions to the UCSC Wi-Fi Policy must be approved by the ITS Director of Core Technologies, or designee. Alternate requirements may apply when exceptions are granted.
VI. APPLICABILITY AND AUTHORITY
The principles and requirements in this policy apply to the entire UCSC community.
The campus Vice Chancellor, Information Technology is the campus authority for the UCSC Wi-Fi Policy. This policy was reviewed and approved by the Campus Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor on xx/xx/20xx. Next review date is xx/xx/20xx+2.
VII. RELATED POLICIES/REFERENCES FOR MORE INFORMATION
Related UCSC Policies and Procedures
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Minimum Network Connectivity Requirements Policy
- Procedures for Blocking Network Access