October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month!
The goal of National Cyber Security Awareness Month is to raise awareness about the many technology-related threats we face each day, and to learn how we can better protect our computers, our information and ourselves.
Cyber Security Information - October 2014
- Annual Computer Security Message from VC IT Doyle
- Cyber Security focus areas for 2014. Also look for posters and signs around campus on these topics throughout October:
- Connect Securely: Use eduroam for secure wireless on campus. Use the Campus VPN when connecting to public wireless, like in a coffeehouse.
- Password Security: Make sure your passwords are hard to guess or hack, and keep them secret and secure. More info...
Also use multifactor authentication when possible, like Google’s 2-step verification
- Travel Security: Protect your electronic devices and the information they contain when you’re on the road. More info...
- Secure Disposal: Work with ITS to securely dispose of computers, hard drives, mobile devices, and other electronic equipment that may contain sensitive information. More info...
- Working with different types of data: Know the difference between restricted, confidential, and non-confidential data, and how each should be protected. More info...
- STUDENT INFO: Cyber Security Tips for Students
- TRAINING: Information Security Awareness Training
- NEWSLETTERS and TIPS-OF-THE-DAY: Monthly cyber security newsletter and tips-of-the-day from SANS
- ARCHIVES: Previous Years' Cyber Security Month Information, articles, signs, etc.
- For technical folks: SANS Internet Storm Center daily cyber security diary articles (entries begin with "CSAM")
Cyber Security Posters
ITS has developed a number of POSTERS designed to raise awareness about various cyber security issues and to promote safer computing.
Shuttle Signs, Dining Hall Flyer, Campus Banner, and Barn Sign from October 2014
Shuttle Bus Poster #1
Shuttle Bus Poster #2
Dining Hall Flyer