|There is a wealth of IT security-related information online. ITS has compiled a number of resources that you may find useful. Please feel free to suggest others using the ITS feedback form.|
RESOURCES ON THIS PAGE:
UCSC's Security website is where to find UCSC's cyber security information.
- OnGuardOnline.gov: This web site provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
- OnGuardOnline.gov's "Computer Security" page
- StaySafeOnline.org: Simple steps, practices and resources you can use to learn the basics on how to better secure their home computer from cyber threats.
- Educause Higher Education Cyber Security Resources: Links to IT Security resources that have been created by colleges and universities.
- SANS newsletters and tips-of-the-day: Monthly cyber security newsletter and tips-of-the-day from SANS
- Security Standards and Resources: A compilation of industry and higher education security standard, data breach compilations, security trends, and non-UCSC cyber security news.
Helpful tips from Microsoft for creating strong passwords plus a password checker to test password strength.
See UCSC's Password Standards for:
- Campus password strength and security requirements
- Information about password managers/password vaults
Phishing and Scams:
- Beware of Scams: Criminals and hackers are constantly coming up with new schemes designed to compromise computers, trick you into revealing valuable information.
- Phishing and Spam IQ Quiz: SonicWALL has published a fun, informative quiz to test how well you distinguish between email schemes and legitimate email.
- The US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) Guidelines for Publishing Information Online: Helpful pointers to keep in mind when publishing or even entering information on the web.
- US-CERT's Staying Safe on Social Network Sites: Tips and resources for safe use of social networking sites.
- Millersmiles Anti Phishing Service: A catalog of many reported email schemes. This site contains images and text of phishing emails, so that people can compare email they have received.
- Facebook privacy: Facebook users can find helpful information about Facebook privacy settings at allfacebook.com. Please note this is not an official Facebook web site.
- More on Facebook Privacy from Sophos: A list of suggestions to help prevent online identity theft. Please note this is not an official Facebook web site.
- Facebook Location Services: General information about Facebook's location services, including enabling and disabling.
- NBC News segment: on cell phones embedding location information in photos a.k.a "geotagging". Others may be able to view this information when the photos are posted online. This is particularly an issue if photos of children are posted online.
Measures you can take to protect your laptop from theft or unauthorized access.
- OnGuardOnline.gov Laptop Security
- US-CERT's Protecting Portable Devices - Physical Security; Data Security
- Information from OnGuardOnline about securing your computer and home network security
- "Best Practices for Keeping Your Home Network Secure" (PDF) from the US National Security Agency (NSA)
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI): Helps keep non-Microsoft programs on your computer up to date (Windows only)
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA): Identifies missing Microsoft security updates and common security misconfigurations (Windows only)
- Microsoft Security Essentials: Free anti-malware program for PCs running Windows
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition: Free anti-malware software for non-University-owned Macs
- Additional Anti-Virus information, including anti-virus software for UCSC and home use
- California Attorney General's identity theft web site, which has some comprehensive information for victims of identity theft, as well as links to additional identity theft resources
- How to protect against and limit damage from identity theft, from the Federal Trade Commission
- The Department of Justice's (DOJ's) Identity Theft and Identity Fraud page
- California Office of Privacy Protection, is dedicated to promoting and protecting the privacy rights of consumers
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse: A non-profit consumer information and advocacy organization
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Cybercrime
- National Security Agency
- Federal Computer Incident Response Center
- NIST Computer Security Division
- Industry and Higher Education Security Standards and Related Resources
- Data Breach Compilations
- Security Trends
- Cyber Security News
Detecting a Security Breach - information for system administratiors
Rev. Aug 2015