|There is a wealth of IT security-related information online. ITS has compiled a number of resources that you may find useful. Please feel free to suggest others using the ITS feedback form.|
RESOURCES ON THIS PAGE:
UCSC's Security website is where to find UCSC's cyber security information including:
- OnGuardOnline.gov: This web site provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
- OnGuardOnline.gov's "Computer Security" page
- StaySafeOnline.org: Simple steps, practices and resources you can use to learn the basics on how to better secure their home computer from cyber threats.
- Educause Higher Education Cyber Security Resources: Links to IT Security resources that have been created by colleges and universities.
- Security Standards and Resources: A compilation of industry and higher education security standard, data breach compilations, security trends, and non-UCSC cyber security news.
Helpful tips from Microsoft for creating strong passwords plus a password checker to test password strength.
Also see UCSC's Password Standards
Phishing and Scams:
- Beware of Scams: Criminals and hackers are constantly coming up with new schemes designed to compromise computers, trick you into revealing valuable information.
- Phishing and Spam IQ Quiz: SonicWALL has published a fun, informative quiz to test how well you distinguish between email schemes and legitimate email.
- The US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) Guidelines for Publishing Information Online: Helpful pointers to keep in mind when publishing or even entering information on the web.
- US-CERT's Staying Safe on Social Network Sites: Tips and resources for safe use of social networking sites.
- Millersmiles Anti Phishing Service: A catalog of many reported email schemes. This site contains images and text of phishing emails, so that people can compare email they have received.
- Facebook privacy: Facebook users can find helpful information about Facebook privacy settings at allfacebook.com. Please note this is not an official Facebook web site.
- More on Facebook Privacy from Sophos: A list of suggestions to help prevent online identity theft. Please note this is not an official Facebook web site.
- Facebook Location Services: General information about Facebook's location services, including enabling and disabling.
- NBC News segment: on cell phones embedding location information in photos a.k.a "geotagging". Others may be able to view this information when the photos are posted online. This is particularly an issue if photos of children are posted online.
Measures you can take to protect your laptop from theft or unauthorized access.
- OnGuardOnline.gov Laptop Security
- US-CERT's Protecting Portable Devices - Physical Security; Data Security
- Information from OnGuardOnline about securing your computer and home network security
- "Best Practices for Keeping Your Home Network Secure" (PDF) from the US National Security Agency (NSA)
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI): Helps keep non-Microsoft programs on your computer up to date (PC only)
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition: Free anti-malware software for non-University-owned Macs
- Additional Anti-Virus information
- California Attorney General's identity theft web site, which has some comprehensive information for victims of identity theft, as well as links to additional identity theft resources
- How to protect against and limit damage from identity theft, from the Federal Trade Commission
- The Department of Justice's (DOJ's) Identity Theft and Identity Fraud page
- California Office of Privacy Protection, is dedicated to promoting and protecting the privacy rights of consumers
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse: A non-profit consumer information and advocacy organization
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Cybercrime
- National Security Agency
- Federal Computer Incident Response Center
- NIST Computer Security Division
- Industry and Higher Education Security Standards and Related Resources
- Data Breach Compilations
- Security Trends
- Cyber Security News
- Detecting a Security Breach (link)
- Administrative Tools and Resources
- Security-Related Software
Rev. April 2014