Computer Security Training Take-Home Messages and Resources
Take Home Messages
1) Computer security at UCSC depends on everyone being responsible for the computing systems and data over which they have control.
2) Be wary of schemes to subtly or not-so-subtly get you to disclose sensitive or restricted information, or your password -- over email, text, phone, Facebook, Twitter, in-person, etc.
3) Use passwords that can’t be easily guessed. Never share your passwords, and don’t write them down.
4) Don’t open attachments or click on links unless you know for certain that what you are opening is safe. If you can't verify it is legitimate, DELETE IT!
5) Be careful about providing personal, sensitive or confidential information online. This includes social networking sites, Instant Messaging (IM), blogs, etc.
6) Always secure your computer and other devices before leaving them unattended, and make sure they require a password to start up or wake up.
8) Make sure your computer, devices, and apps are up to date and have all necessary security “patches”. Desktop and laptop computers should also run up to date anti-virus software.
9) Don’t install unknown or unsolicited programs/apps.
10) Report suspected IT security incidents to your supervisor and the ITS Support Center (http://itrequest.ucsc.edu, 459-HELP, firstname.lastname@example.org). Report stolen equipment to the UCSC Police Department: 459-2231 or http://police.ucsc.edu. See http://its.ucsc.edu/security/report.html for instructions.
Key IT Security Resources
- ITS Support Center - for general questions and information or to report security incidents http://itrequest.ucsc.edu, email@example.com, 459-HELP, or Kerr Hall room 54 M-F 8am-5PM
- Report a Security Incident
- Information Security Website
- Security Awareness Training
- How to Stay Secure
- UCSC Password Standards
- Practices for Protecting Electronic Restricted Data
- Restricted Data Resources
- UCSC Copyright Education
- Eduroam Encrypted Wireless (available to faculty, staff, and students)
- IT Security Policies and Procedures
Rev. Sept 2015