Computer Security Training Take-Home Messages and Resources
Take Home Messages
1) Computer security at UCSC depends on everyone being responsible for the computing systems and data over which they have control.
2) Be wary of schemes to subtly or not-so-subtly get you to disclose sensitive or restricted information, or your password.
3) Use cryptic passwords that can’t be easily guessed. Never share your passwords, and don’t write them down.
4) Don’t open email attachments or click on web links unless you know for certain that what you are opening is safe.
5) Be careful about providing personal, sensitive or confidential information on the internet. This includes Instant Messaging (IM) social networking sites, blogs, etc.
6) Always secure your computer before leaving it unattended, and make sure it requires a password to start up or wake up.
7) Protect Restricted and Confidential data, and dispose of it securely.
8) Make sure your workstation has all necessary security “patches” and anti-virus software, and that they are kept up to date.
9) Don’t install unknown or unsolicited programs on computers.
10) Report suspected IT security incidents to your supervisor and the ITS Support Center (http://itrequest.ucsc.edu, 459-HELP, firstname.lastname@example.org). Report stolen equipment to the UCSC Police Department: 459-2231 or http://police.ucsc.edu. See http://its.ucsc.edu/security/report.html for instructions.
Key IT Security Resources
- ITS Support Center - for general questions and information or to report security incidents http://itrequest.ucsc.edu, email@example.com, 459-HELP, or Kerr Hall room 54 M-F 8am-5PM
- Report a Security Incident
- IT Security Website
- UCSC Security Awareness Training
- UC Information Security Awareness Training
- How to Stay Secure
- UCSC Password Standards
- Practices for Protecting Electronic Restricted Data
- Restricted Data Resources
- UCSC Copyright Education
- Eduroam Encrypted Wireless (available to faculty, staff, and students)
- IT Security Policies and Procedures
Rev. Mar 2015