Use our file space, servers and support to develop and publish your site. ITS provides the secure and reliable environment, you provide your web expertise and content.
Self-managed Personal Web Pages are also available through this service.
This service is for you if:
- You manage your own site, but need a hosting environment
- You have the technical skill to support your HTML or PHP environment (Note: many content management systems are not supported)
- You want a high availability server environment with nightly back-ups
- You want a UCSC hosted personal Web site that you can manage
How to Request
To request help with the services on this page, please submit a ticket in IT Request. TIP: For quicker response, use the "Web Services" Request Type.
To request a new web space, change the configuration (quota, permissions, etc) of your existing Web site, or request a unique URL (CNAME), please fill out the online Web Hosting Form.
Web services are partially funded through the Information User Assessment and there are no other charges for these services. For more information on the IU Assessment, please see the Information User Assessment information page.
Student organizations web pages are available through Student Organization Advising and Resources (SOAR).
Unit or Department Web Hosting Features and Functions
We provide web space, free of charge, for any UCSC department, unit, or research site. We provide the secure and reliable environment, you provide your web expertise and content. For step-by-step instructions on how to setup a web site, see Unit Web Site Setup Tutorial.
- Highly available (24 x 7), secure and reliable server environment
- Separate development and production environments
- Immediate access to nightly backup of files
- 200MB default file storage quota
- PHP and Perl runtime engine support
- Centrally supported tools & libraries
- MySQL DB access (for ITS sponsored projects)
- Web log reports
- Secure pages (SSL) available
- SSH and SFTP access to file space
- Ability to manage user and group permissions
- Campus policy on Custom Web site names
- Nightly backups and restoration services
- 24 x 7 server monitoring
- See Web Training and DiY Resources for self-help tools
We provide personal web site space, free of charge, for any UCSC faculty, student or staff member. This is a self-supported service: we provide the secure and reliable environment, you provide your web expertise and content. For step-by-step instructions on how to setup a personal web page, see Personal Web Page Tutorial.
A personal Web site tells your readers about your interests, research, ideas, and hobbies. Personal web pages may not be used for political or commercial purposes and may not include copyrighted material.
- 100 MB of server space for personal content
- Option to publish web site to the UCSC directory of individual web sites
- Robust server environment
- Nightly backups
- Search engine functionality
- Web log reports
- Server side includes (but not executables)
- Option to request php
- Limited cgi-bin scripts
- Page management tools including Mailform, and Weblog_report
- Weblog reports to track how often your pages are visited
- Support for additional MIME types including PDF, DWF, RA, RAM, RPM, DCR, DIR, DXR, SWA, and WRL
Third Party Applications Policy
At present, ITS does not allow installation of third-party software like WordPress, Drupal or other web applications on centrally-supported ITS web infrastructure, and may restrict custom PHP applications that are determined to introduce risk. Webadmins with Web sites on ITS web infrastructure are responsible for keeping their code patched and secure.
ITS reserves the right to remove code and/or disable Web sites that pose a security or stability risk to the web infrastructure. Our current efforts, as directed by campus priorities, are dedicated to the development of new content management services. This policy will be reviewed periodically as service capacity evolves.