Web Publishing is a growing suite of services that lets you focus on your campus content. No technical experience is necessary. There are no servers to manage and ITS takes care of security. It is easy to post updates and use the campus design templates. This service is recommended for all departments that want to streamline their web maintenance while contributing a top notch web presence for UCSC.
This service is for you if:
- You want to focus on your content, not technology
- You want to use the latest and greatest campus designs
- You don't want to be responsible for accessibility and standards
- You want multiple authors to be able to easily update your web content
- You want simplified publishing process, version control, and news features
NOTE: If you want to manage your own html on a self-managed departmental, individual or personal site, please see our Web Hosting Service. Student organization can contact the Student Organization Advising and Resources (SOAR) office.
How to Request
Web publishing services are available to official campus departments, units, groups and organizations.
To request new web sites or to get web publishing assistance with an ITS supported service, please submit a ticket in IT Request. Completion times for site migrations varies based on a number of factors. For questions about a time line, please contact us about your site. TIP: For quicker response, use the "Web Services" Request Type.
Campus Web Content Management System
- The campus look and feel
- Authentication via CruzID Gold
- Intuitive web authoring tools
- Access via a web browser
- Stable, well managed application
- Built-in news feature
- Content versioning and "roll back"
- Campus directory-based person profiles
- Course information display from AIS
- Robust technical support, including the WCMS Help site
- A growing campus community of fellow users. See a list of sites that have Launched in the Campus WCMS.
Official Campus Web Design
Development and maintenance of the official campus web design (i.e. "look and feel") is the responsibility of the Communications & Marketing department within University Relations. This includes the creation and evolution of standard design templates for the web, as well as interpretation and implementation of specific design questions.
Sites utilizing the official campus web designs must adhere to established guidelines and requirements, as defined in the Communications & Marketing Identity Guidelines.
Other Web Publishing Options
These web publishing options are currently in use by many departments. If you have questions about which option you should use, please submit a ticket in IT Request.
- Departmental Template System (aka FITC Template, PIO Template) - This service is being phased out. The departmental template system is a limited content management system that uses the 2008 version of the campus template. Some HTML and Dreamweaver experience is required.
- Self-Managed Web Hosting - Self-managed Web sites are part of the Web Hosting service.
- Divisional Web Publishing - Additional web publishing may be available in your division. See Web Hosting or check with your Divisional Liaison.
- Instructional Web Sites - Additional web services for publishing course related sites. are available for faculty and instructors. Please see Instructional Web Sites.