Hangouts is a video conferencing, instant message, and voice chat tool that is part of the UCSC Google Core Apps services. You can use Hangouts in Google+ or as part of the Video Call feature in Google Calendar and in Gmail Chat.
- With Google Hangouts you can video conference with up to 15 other people and chat face-to-face using a computer, Android phone or tablet, iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- You can host a virtual meeting. Google Hangouts allow you to share screens and collaborate on Google Docs in real-time, right within the Hangout.
- Google Hangouts can be recorded as a video and archived for distribution to others with Hangouts On Air through YouTube.
- Learn More About Hangouts
Getting Started with Chat in Gmail
To begin using Chat in Gmail, login to your UCSC Google email account and follow these steps:
- Make sure to turn the Chat feature ON in Gmail by going to your email settings, click the Chat tab, and choose "Chat on." Click save changes.
- You can adjust your chat history by turning the chat history off for all your chats. Instructions
- By default, the Chat area is located on the left side under your email labels. It might be hard to see. If you'd rather have right side Chat, go to your email settings, click the Labs tab, and enable "Right-side Chat." Click save changes.
- Start a Chat: Instructions
How to Start a Hangout
Hangouts lets you send messages, photos, and video conference with anyone with a Google account. You can start a Hangout from Gmail, Calendar, Google+, your Android or iOS device, or with the Chrome extension.
- Start a Hangout - Instructions on how to start a Hangout
- Hangout using your UCSC Google Email: Follow these steps
- Hangout using your UCSC Google Calendar: Follow these steps
- Hangout using Google+. Learn More About Google+
- Hangout using your iOS device: Follow these steps
- Hangout using your Android: Follow these steps