About UCSC Google Apps
What is Google Apps?
Google Apps for Education is a suite of web-based services provided by Google. These services function on Mac or PC, mobile devices, are free, always online, and do not require the installation of any software on your computer except for a modern Internet browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari).
Email and Calendar are two of the major services included in the UCSC core Google Apps for Education services. These services, plus Docs (Drive), Sites, Chat, Mobile and Groups, are available to faculty, staff, and students to enhance collaboration and provide much needed efficiencies. Email, Calendar, and Groups are supported by ITS. Docs, Sites, Mobile and Chat, are self-supported services as well as the Google consumer Apps.
Why did UCSC choose Google Apps?
As part of our budget reduction strategy and in line with an emerging trend in higher education, UCSC migrated to Google Apps for Education to provide much needed and often requested services to the campus. Read campus announcement - August 24, 2011
- UCSC Google Email - Nov. 14, 2011
- UCSC Google Core Apps - Nov. 2011 - August 2012
- UCSC Google Calendar - August 6, 2012
- UCSC Google Consumer Apps - Sept. 20, 2012
There were a number of important considerations that led to the decision to move to Google Apps.
- Email and Calendar were identified as outsource candidates and Gmail was selected as the mail service. Integration between Mail and Calendar was an important feature.
- Disaster Recovery with the ability to continue service after an event like an earthquake was marginal with our own systems - going with Google and data replication across many data centers provided a capability we would not have been able to afford had we attempted something similar.
- The ability to take advantage of a suite of applications to enhance productivity and collaboration. Google Docs and Sites were offered as part of the package of applications.
- Mobile device support: We wanted a suite of products that would allow an ever increasing population of mobile devices to work.
- Innovation: The constant innovation that has been demonstrated by Google gave us confidence the product would continue to improve
If you have a question regarding Google Apps at UCSC, please contact the ITS Support Center.