Back up Important Files
Why should you back up important files?
If you don't back up your data, you run the risk of losing it. Your files could disappear due to a virus, computer crash, accidental keystroke, theft, or disaster.
Make backup copies of files or data you are not willing to lose -- and store the copies very securely.
To back up your files:
- Check with the ITS Support Center or your ITS Divisional Liaison to find out if there are regular backups of your department's computers.
- Make copies of critical and essential files on a daily basis and non-critical files on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Store backups containing sensitive or critical data securely.
- Store backups away from your computer, in case of fire or theft.
- Periodically test the capability to restore from the backups.
- Don't forget about mobile devices! Synch or back these up regularly, too.
Rev. Mar 2015