Security Awareness Training
On this page:
Security awareness training is an important part of UCSC's IT Security Program. The presentations and resources on this page will provide you with information to help keep your computer and information secure.
This overview training was developed by the University of California for faculty, staff and student employees at all UC locations. It is designed to raise awareness about information security, good information security practices, and related policy in order to help prevent unintentional compromises of sensitive information and computing systems. Adopting behaviors that protect information benefits the University, and can benefit you and your family, as well.
This training will take most people 30-40 minutes to complete. If you progress entirely at the pace of the training's audio, it will take close to an hour. You will be able to print a certificate of completion at the end.
The following pages are designed to supplement the above Information Security Awareness Training. They provide a more in-depth review of specific cyber security topics. They can be used together as a comprehensive supplemental curriculum or individually to address specific areas. Each page provides tools and information about what to do and what not to do to keep your computer and data safe and secure.
- Introduction to Computer Security (PDF*) (Text Only Version)
- Beware of Scams
- Protect Information when using the Internet and email
- Protect Passwords
- Mobile Devices and Wireless
- Working With Different Types of Data
- Report a Security Incident
- Other Essential Security Measures
- Computer Security Resources and Take-Home Messages
- Security Self-Test: Questions and Scenarios (PDF*) (Text Only Version)
*Training Module PDFs were created for use with Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, or a similar PDF viewer. If you do not have one of these programs, we recommend using the Text-Only version.
To inquire about requesting a special in-person computer security awareness training for your UCSC department, unit or group, please contact the ITS Service Manager for Policy and Compliance at 459-2779 or email@example.com. Training outline
The University of California has developed an excellent, brief online introduction to computer security. This tutorial takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and provides some basic information about computer security. There is a quiz and certificate at the end for individuals who need to demonstrate completion.
This training is for people who want an introduction to computer security that is shorter and less in-depth than the UC Information Security Awareness Training at the top of this page -- or for people who are not UCSC employees.
Please note that some of the links in this tutorial and its menus are for UC San Diego because it was developed there, but the primary information applies to people at all UCs.
SonicWALL has published a fun, informative quiz to test how well you distinguish between email schemes and legitimate email. Check it out at http://www.sonicwall.com/phishing/.
- Personal Identity Information (PII) Security Awareness Training
- Security Breach Examples and Practices to Avoid Them
- HIPAA Training:
- FERPA Resources on the UCSC Registrar's website, including a quick-reference, comprehensive procedures, and a FERPA quiz (CruzID Gold login required) for individuals with access to student records
- Information from US-CERT about home computer security
- Training for ITS Employees
For questions or to report problems with any of the resources on this page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.