CruzID Account Information
Everyone at UCSC is issued CruzIDs when they are hired or enrolled.
Your CruzID is your UCSC account, sometimes referred to as your username, that gives you access to many services and systems. Your CruzID is also part of your UCSC email address, such as email@example.com, the "bslug" is the CruzID.
- Staff and faculty are given a CruzID form during their on-boarding hiring process to complete, sign, and return to the ITS Support Center for processing.
- Students are given a CruzID after they submit their application to UCSC. If they decide to attend UCSC, they will use that same CruzID throughout their school years. All degree seeking students will keep their CruzID for 12 months after they are no longer enrolled at UCSC.
Accounts for People Affiliated with UCSC
If you are affiliated with UCSC, but not an undergraduate, graduate, staff, or faculty, you may request a Sundry account that gives you a CruzID. Sundry accounts are reviewed annually. In some cases, sponsors are required for Sundry applicants; each sponsor must be a career UCSC employee who can attest to the identity of the applicant. Eligibility is subject to compliance with university policy. Please contact the ITS Support Center for assistance.
Students receive their CruzID as part of the application process through MyUCSC. Faculty and staff receive their CruzIDs as part of the hiring process. If you do not have a CruzID, contact the ITS Support Center.
How to Make Changes to Your CruzID
The account modification form is used by students, staff, faculty and temporary staffing appointments to modify aspects of your CruzID and other accounts. Please follow the instructions on this form:
There are two types of CruzID passwords - Gold and Blue. Depending on the service or application that you login to, you will use either your Gold or Blue password. In most cases, you will see a Gold password or Blue password icon on the login screen so you know which one to use.
If you don't know your CruzID password, please call the ITS Support Center at (831) 459-4357. If you are a student, you can submit an IT Request Ticket to request your password. Faculty and staff must call and verify their identity over the phone.
- CruzIDs for all employees will be closed when the employee separates from the campus. The employee's unit may contact the ITS Support Center to request an extension or re-enabling of the account if there is a business need for the account to remain open. Supervisors may not access employees’ email accounts after employees leave. Please contact the ITS Support Center for assistance.
- Faculty accounts will remain active for 90 days beyond their separation date. The unit may contact the ITS Support Center to request an extension of the account. Faculty will retain their faculty affiliation for 90 days (one quarter) prior to an appointment and for 90 days after an appointment ends. Please contact the ITS Support Center for assistance.
- As of March 22, 2013, degree-seeking undergrad and graduate students will keep their CruzID Account and Blue password (including their UCSC email/Google Apps account) for 12 months after they are no longer enrolled at UCSC. After the 12 month period has expired, accounts will be closed unless an extension is requested. Prior to closure of the UCSC email/Google Apps account, students who are eligible for Extended Services, will have the option to forward email sent to their @ucsc.edu account to an email address of their choice. More information about Email Forwarding. A notice will be sent from the ITS Support Center in advance of account closure.
- All prior undergrad and graduate students will keep their CruzID and Gold password to access MyUCSC for online academic information.
- Staff and faculty who retire from UCSC are allowed to keep their CruzID Account (includes UCSC Google email, calendar, docs, etc.) as long as they have an account sponsor. It is at the discretion of the supervisor (or sponsor) whether a retired staff or faculty retain their CruzID Account. Department/sponsor approval is required and a Sundry Form must be filled out requesting the extension. Retiree accounts come up for renewal every year unless the sponsor specifically requests a five year extension. Please contact the ITS Support Center for assistance.
- Ladder rank faculty (emeriti) upon retirement maintain their accounts as professors emeritus for a lifetime.