Policy & Rules for Computer Lab Use
Computer lab use policy consists of the following rules and the policies as listed below. Any person found violating the lab rules or policies may lose their lab privileges as well as a temporary or full suspension of their UCSC account.
Print Billing/Print Refund Policies
Refunds will be provided ONLY for technical printing issues, e.g., low toner, etc. Refunds will NOT be provided for printing mistakes.
Even if you did not print certain files that appear on your bill, you are still responsible for print charges associated with your username. Sometimes students forget to logout, and another student can accidentally print from your account. Other rare times, your password may not be strong enough, and someone else can hack into your account and print. If you feel these might have been possibilities, please remember to: 1. Logout after each session; 2. Choose a secure password and don't share it. The Support Center Help Desk (459- HELP) can assist you in changing your password or choosing a secure password.
You can see your current print charges here. Current charges for this billing period may not be available to pay via your student portal until they transfer into the student portal system. It can take up to a month for the charges in a computer lab to transfer to Student Business Services (SBS). Once there, the charges can take an additional month or even longer to transfer to your student portal, where you can see and pay the bill. Your current charges, as seen from the Learning Technologies website, may not match the charges that you see in your student portal. The printing bill in your student portal will display any outstanding print charges and late fees.
General Use of Computer Labs
- No food or drink at computer workstations.
- No bicycles or bike parts.
- No disruptive behavior.
- No moving the lab equipment and/or cables.
- No laptops on the wired network (exception: Instructors for instructional purposes). It is okay to have laptops in the labs and be on the wireless network, they just can't be physically plugged into our jacks.
- No illegal copying of ANY materials.
- Keep sound levels to a minimum.
- The labs are for UCSC students, staff and faculty ONLY. We reserve the right to check IDs.