Computer Surplus and Disposal

ITS provides a campus service to securely dispose of old computer equipment.

We provide pickup and processing for computers, printers, and other e-waste. We will securely process your equipment, transport it to Campus Receiving for disposal. This service includes handling items intended for campus surplus as well as e-waste disposal.

Surplus requests only: If an item resells for more than $100, the selling department may receive a portion of the money back.

What types of computer equipment do we accept?

  • Computer Screens
  • Laptops*
  • Desktop Computers*
  • Mouse/ Keyboard/ Other Peripherals
  • Hard Drives/ Flash Drives/ Other Storage Media*
  • Printers*
  • Cell Phones
  • Tablets
  • Power Adapters
  • and Others

* = Items where stored data is securely erased or destroyed

What types of items do we not accept?

  • Hazardous waste (sharps, damaged batteries, lightbulbs) Contact EHS
  • Excess packaging (empty cardboard boxes, plastic bags, foam)
  • Non-electronic accessories (seat cushions, manuals, laptop/monitor stands)

If any of these items are included in your pickup, it will be declined/postponed until appropriately sorted.

If you have larger equipment like refrigerators or vehicles please check the main UCSC Surplus/ E-Waste site.

If you are unsure if we can accept an item, please contact us at before submitting your request.

How do I request the Surplus and Disposal service?

Open a service request here: Computer Equipment Surplus and Disposal Service Request

How can I be sure my sensitive data is protected?

We use up-to-date industry standard tools for secure erasing/destruction of data on hard drives and other electronic storage media while processing all incoming equipment. Your equipment remains secure from pickup till it's been processed securely. During processing, all equipment is secured behind a dual authentication door(key code + card access) then directly transported to campus Surplus/E-Waste once it's been securely processed.

What if I want to dispose of equipment that is not computer related?

Please check these Campus Receiving Services pages:

See Also